Commercial VCT refinishing & Maintenance
Striping and Waxing Tile Floors
VCT (Vinyl Composition Tile) is the type of flooring found in supermarkets, schools, hospitals etc.
These tiles can be installed in residential buildings but predominantly found in commercial facilities.
VCT flooring that is maintained properly will consistently reflect with a brilliant shine and gives a clean
fresh look to the space.
Actual Customers VCT Floors (shared with permission):
3 steps to maintaining beautiful VCT:
- Strip & Wax:
Small dirt particles & dust eventually get ground into waxed floors, and over time floors will begin to begin yellow from the light.
In order to restore your floors to a “like new” shine, they will need to be stripped and waxed. We recommended this be done
every 12 months, at a minimum, if traffic is medium to low. For high traffic VCT it is recommended to strip & wax every 4 to 6 months.
- Scrub & Finish:
When VCT flooring losses its original high gloss looks and appears dull it is time to re-coat. A scrubbing of the tiles will
provide optimum appearance and reduce the need for stripping and waxing, saving you time and money!
- Buffing/Burnishing VCT:
Floor buffing helps maintain the high gloss luster you desire on your floors. This process uses an ultra high-speed floor
machine to renew the floors surface. We recommend this service monthly for medium to low traffic areas, and weekly on high traffic flooring.
Tips for keeping you VCT in the best condition possible:
- Always mop with a neutral cleaner. Other cleaners will slowly strip away the wax.
- Always use clean mops and change mop water often. Mopping with dirty mop water does not get the VCT clean and will add to the wear on the wax.
- Always use chair mats! Wheels on a desk chair will not only wear off the wax, but it will eventually scratch into the tile itself. With this kind of damage it will never be able to regain any type of shine.
- Newly laid VCT Always needs to be cleaned and wax applied. Just because it is brand new does not mean it is protected!
- It is very hard to keep floors free from scratches when the VCT is in rooms such as cafeterias, classrooms, bars etc. Any space with chairs that people will be pushing back in while sitting will scratch into your wax. These conditions will require scrub & wax and buffing more often to maintain a high gloss appearance.